Cloverdale is a river valley neighbourhood in Edmonton, located on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River. The community is immediately across the river from the city’s downtown core and also from Riverdale. To our south, overlooking us down here in the valley, are Strathearn, Bonnie Doon, Holyrood and Forest Heights.
The southwest corner of Cloverdale is bounded by Connor’s Road, the approaches to the Low Level Bridge, and the mouth of the Mill Creek Ravine. The Low Level Bridge and James McDonald Bridge connect the neighbourhood to the north side of the river, while Scona Road and the Mill Creek Ravine multi-use pathway provide access to Old Strathcona. Early residential development in the area consisted of working-class homes for the men working at the numerous commercial and industrial sites in Gallagher Flats (as the area was then known) in the early 1900s. The population was such that when a new, two-classroom school was planned in 1912, it was expanded to four classrooms before being finished in 1913.
Redevelopment in Cloverdale, since 1984, has seen the replacement of much of the early housing with much larger and more modern homes.